Knowledge Network, BC’s Public Broadcaster is looking for an Applications Developer to grow and enhance our streaming services on mobile and TV platforms. We are looking for someone committed to ensuring our audience has the best entertainment experience possible across all platforms.
With a popular television channel and a wide variety of websites and apps, we have an expansive, engaged, and dedicated audience. The work of our incredible team of developers and designers is accessed daily by thousands of British Columbians and Canadians seeking information, entertainment and inspiration from a public broadcaster they trust.
As an integral part of our Streaming Platforms team, you will work shoulder to shoulder with our talented and creative developers, programmers, and designers to build, improve and maintain our suite of apps across iOS, Android, Roku, Google TV, Amazon Fire Stick TV and Samsung TV devices.
Who We Are:
British Columbia’s Knowledge Network is an independent provincial public educational broadcaster that operates a free and commercial-free television channel in B.C. and streaming services across Canada.
Our office is located in Burnaby on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Indian Band), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples. We honour and respect the people and the land we are part of.
Funded by an annual operating grant from the provincial government and donations from loyal viewers, Knowledge Network offers a diverse range of content including commercial-free documentaries, arts and culture, drama and children’s programs. The programming we broadcast on Knowledge informs, enlightens and connects British Columbians to each other and the world.
What You will be Doing:
- Building and maintaining high-quality Apps in Android and iOS using Kotlin, Swift, and C++.
- Building and maintaining data exchanges between internet-facing data sources and internal application systems.
- Identifying issues, developing features, and improving functionality to give our audience an enhanced user experience.
- Confirming requirements, coding, testing, analysis, design, definition, development, and implementation of mobile applications.
- Collaborating with other team members and cross departmentally.
What You Bring to the Team:
- Experience in Android Studio and/or XCode, 2+ years of experience with either of Kotlin, Java, Objective-C, Swift, and C++.
- Proficient using versioning control tools; preferably Git.
- Proficient in fundamentals of object-oriented design, event-driven development, data structures, algorithm design, problem-solving, and complexity analysis.
- Experience building complex iOS/Android Apps that have been successfully deployed to the App Store and or Play Store.
- Knowledge of web service technologies and services (specifically REST APIs).
- Experience in debugging and profiling application performance.
- Understanding of UI Design principles, Android, and iOS Interface Design guidelines.
What We Bring:
- A Competitive Salary – $69,948 – $81,831 annually
- Work-Life Balance – hybrid work options, standard work hours (8 hrs/day, Mon-Fri) with flexible work schedules
- A Defined Benefit Pension Plan – Municipal Pension Plan with employer contributions
- Generous Vacation Entitlement – starting at 4 weeks along with 13 annual statutory holidays
- 100% Employer-paid dental, extended health, vision care for you and your family
- Wellness supports, including an Employee and Family Assistance Program, lunch and learn seminars, free flu shots and mental health resources
- Training and Professional Development funds to support your continuous learning and development
Knowledge Network is committed to employment equity and building a skilled, diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we serve. We welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities (LGBTQ2S+), and others who reflect our ever-changing workplace. We invite you to indicate in your cover letter if you self-identify with an underrepresented or equity-deserving group.
Knowledge Network is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If you require accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, including but not limited to, mental health, physical disability, religious practices or medical conditions, please let us know by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are passionate about this opportunity and want to contribute your experience and expertise, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, by June 2. If you’re excited about the role and feel you could be a great addition to our team, but your past experience or skill set doesn’t align perfectly with the job description, we’d still love to receive your application. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada and based within the Lower Mainland.