The Cinematheque is a charitable cultural institution that excites and educates our community about the art, impact, and legacy of cinema and screen-based media through curated film screenings, innovative film education workshops, and our film library and archives.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications & Marketing Manager is responsible for promoting the organization and its programs to the media and community at large, and organizational brand oversight. Efforts include, but are not limited to: social media, media and community outreach, graphic design, advertising, planning, website maintenance, and overseeing/coordinating print and web design.
Our beloved long-time Communications & Marketing Manager is leaving the organization to return home overseas to be closer to family. Our ideal candidate is creative, organized, a strategic and collaborative thinker, and an excellent communicator with a keen eye for design and a passion for the arts.
– Promotion and marketing of public programming
– PR and media relations: producing programming overviews for press, individual releases, personal follow ups, and coordinating interviews
– Promotional assets: creating slides, posters, social media images, website images, advertising artwork
– Advertising: planning and implementing the advertising campaigns for each cycle
– Community outreach: reaching out to specific groups and organizations depending on the films and series we have coming up
– Program guide: collating copy and images, overseeing/designing the layout, and coordinating proofing and printing of a 32 page program guide
– Oversees brand development/integrity/art direction across all platforms
– Writes, edits, and oversees design of weekly Cinemail e-newsletter
– Social media: creating daily content across The Cinematheque’s three channels
– Responsible for direction, updates, and maintenance of thecinematheque.ca; works with contracted web developer as necessary
– Ensuring on-site branding consistency across the lobby, screen, and merchandise
– Learning & Outreach promotion: Working with the L&O team to promote programs
– Creates and manages the yearly communications budget
– Proven experience in social media content creation and management, publicity and communications, and experience in marketing to arts, film, and community-specific audiences
– Applied knowledge in graphic communication, visual identity, and branding strategies
– Ability to coordinate and oversee volumes of artwork on very tight turnaround
– Website management experience
– Experience in engaging traditional media and social media
– Excellent computer skills including Adobe Creative Suite
– Excellent communication skills, diplomacy and professionalism with staff, media, communities, and networks
– Highly organized with a definitive ability to meet multiple ongoing internal and external deadlines
– An appreciation of and dedication to the non-profits art sector, and a love and understanding of cinema culture is considered valuable
– More than two years in communications/publicity role
– A university degree in communications or arts, or equivalent experience
HOW TO APPLY:
This is a permanent position with a salary of $45,000-55,000 per year based on full-time hours (37.5 hours per week), with the possibility for an 80% position (30 hours per week) with a pro-rated salary. Benefits include: shared-cost health and dental package; RRSP matching; three weeks paid vacation in addition to an annual holiday office closure for one week at year’s end; paid sick leave; and a professional development budget.
The Communications Manager is expected to spend some time outside of regular business hours attending events.
The Cinematheque currently supports a hybrid work model, with a mix of in-office and remote work.
The Cinematheque is actively committed to creating and upholding an inclusive, accessible, culturally safe and equitable workplace and organization. We encourage applications from members of marginalized and underserved communities, including those who identify as Indigenous, Black, people of colour, as well as those from diverse age groups, sexual orientations, gender identities, and expression. We welcome applicants living with disabilities, however, please note that our administration offices are currently only accessible by stairs.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to careers@thecinematheque by Wednesday, April 27 at 9pm. We also invite applicants to share supporting materials showcasing past work. Interviews will begin the first week of May, with the position starting in early June.
Though we thank all applicants for their interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you. No phone calls, please.
This is a permanent position with a salary of $45,000-55,000 per year based on full-time hours (37.5 hours per week), with the possibility for an 80% position (30 hours per week) with a pro-rated salary.
Contact Name: Kate Ladyshewsky
Contact Email: email@example.com