Greater Vancouver International Film Festival Society
Jun. 9, 2023
The Greater Vancouver International Film Festival Society is a not-for-profit cultural organization that operates the internationally acclaimed Vancouver International Film Festival (VIFF) and the Vancity Theatre, located in the VIFF Centre. We produce screenings, talks and events as a catalyst for a diverse community to discover, discuss and share the creativity and craft of storytelling on screen.
The Greater Vancouver International Film Festival Society is dedicated to accessible employment practices and committed to being an equal-opportunity employer. We value a diverse and inclusive workplace that is reflective of our community and encourage applications from members of communities that have been marginalized based on sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, or status as an Indigenous person. Please feel free to advise us of any accommodation needs.
This position is supported by the Canada Summer Jobs program. To be eligible applicants must:
• be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and
• have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Reporting to the Director of Programming and working closely with the Programming and Marketing departments, the Content Coordinator will play a vital role in the launch of the website, printed guide, and other promotional efforts for the annual Vancouver International Film Festival – Western Canada’s most prominent celebration of cinema.
Running September 28-October 8, 2023, the 42nd edition of VIFF will showcase 120 feature films and 100 shorts and stage dozens of panels, talks, and performances. In addition to featuring cinema from more than 70 countries, VIFF will also offer the world’s most vibrant showcase of contemporary cinema by Canadian and Indigenous filmmakers.
Overseeing the workflow for the creation of editorial and promotional content for these events, the Content Coordinator will ensure that VIFF’s copywriting is appealing to a wide range of readers (from cinephiles to curiosity seekers) and can be utilized across a range of platforms (website, email, social media, print ads). The role will also support the production of the festival’s website, printed guide, press releases, and promotional emails. In addition to copywriting and proofing, they will also serve as a liaison between departments ensuring that the programming’s marketing partners, funders, and corporate sponsors are properly recognized.
Festival Website & Printed Guide
• Contribute full program notes (approx. 150 words), short blurbs (approx. 70 words), and other program-related copywriting for the festival website, printed guide, and promotional emails.
• Copyedit program notes and blurbs produced by festival curators and other contributing writers.
• Edit other writers’ short blurbs down to “mini notes” conducive to social media.
• Edit filmmaker and speaker bios.
• Coordinate and create content for information pages of website and guide (ticketing, venue access, etc).
• Ensure that ads, logos, and letters of welcome from dignitaries have been submitted to graphic designer in accordance with timeline.
• Coordinate final proofing of print publication by distributing proofs to relevant departments for approval and providing proofreading support.
• Ensure that key film details (credits, themes and genres, countries of production, etc.) have been accurately recorded in VIFF’s FileMaker Pro database.
• Ensure that film and event records in FileMaker Pro are complete and ready for building VIFF website pages.
Additional Copywriting and Editing
• Support the creation and proofreading of press releases, promotional emails, and social media content.
• Submit a final report to include statistics, revised job description (as needed), report on activities in the current year and recommendations for future.
• Commitment to the principles of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
• An understanding of contemporary world cinema and the ability to articulate the merits of individual films to the general public.
• Demonstrated copyediting, proofreading, and writing skills.
• Ability to manage large volumes of information.
• Experience with project management and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
• Flexibility with work hours and availability on select evenings and weekends.
• Past experience with databases (particularly FileMaker Pro) an asset.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a current CV, along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “HIRING CONTENT COORDINATOR” in the subject line of the email. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those requested for an interview will be contacted due to the volume of applications anticipated. No phone calls, please.
Contact Email: email@example.com