JOB TITLE: Factual Development Producer
REPORTS TO: Head of Factual Development
START DATE: TBC
HOURS: 40 hours per week.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience. All full time employees receive health benefits.
LOCATION: This position is based in Vancouver. Office space is provided and there is flexibility for “work from home” arrangements in alignment with Omnifilm’s return-to-office protocols.
The position is a permanent full time position with a 3-month probationary period per employment standards.
Omnifilm Entertainment is looking for a development producer who will help conceive and research buzz-worthy factual/unscripted series targeting an array of global broadcasters and streamers.
You love factual television and will be found constantly talking about your favourite shows to friends, family, and colleagues. You are a creative “ideas person” and quickly absorb TV market intel from multiple sources and newsletters, have an appreciation and understanding of the cultural zeitgeist, and are able to spot content trends before they emerge. You are aware of the importance of using an intercultural lens to develop compelling concepts and love TV genres such as workplace occu-docs, ob-docs, competition formats, pop culture, true crime, popular science, and natural history programs.
You might have educational background or experience in fields like journalism, production, commercials or creative agency roles, or other aspects of film and television. You will be highly organized and detail-oriented with an ability to work independently to package ideas into compelling pitches. You’ll be confident advocating for your ideas and supporting them with relevant information about key buyers and sales prospects. You multitask with ease and thrive having several projects at various stages of development on the go at once. You work well with a team, are respectful to everyone, and have an awareness of current intercultural issues.
You may have already worked in a similar role before, or you are eager to apply experiences from other positions to this role. You are passionate about the power of storytelling to make an impact in the world and want to produce content that matters.
ABOUT THE JOB
You will work alongside our full development team to find great characters, track commissioning priorities of key buyers, and package ideas with other pitch materials like treatments, 1-sheets, and demos. Eventually, you’ll be pitching your own projects, getting them financed, and could even spend some time on the production side of shows while you continue to develop new ideas. A key part of the job is finding and getting access to unique and diverse worlds and subcultures that would appeal to our clients like Discovery, History, NatGeo, Smithsonian and streamers including Netflix, Amazon and Disney.
- Research books, podcasts, and other IP for possible development avenues.
- Find and interview prospective characters for doc series and 1-offs.
- Produce pitch materials such as 1-sheets, treatments, and demos.
- Build development schedules and keep track of progress.
- Track history of all project development stages, where pitched and responses received.
- Be skilled in using an intersectional and culturally safe approach with prospective characters, communities, and concepts.
- Research and track information on broadcaster and streamer needs and comparable programs
Department general administration:
- Supporting the team with ad hoc administrative tasks.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Deadline to apply is end of day Wednesday, April 20
- Please send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject heading ‘Factual Development Producer – YOUR NAME Application’.
- Please attach a single PDF document that contains both your cover letter and resume.
- For more information about the position or company, please contact Amanda June Giannakos, Recruitment Director.
- Selected candidates will be given a short assignment to complete to qualify for an interview. There will be 2-3 rounds of interviews completed either in-person in Vancouver or via Zoom.
Omnifilm Entertainment is a premium content company founded in 1979. Omnifilm has produced and distributed hundreds of hours of award-winning programming including drama, comedy, factual and lifestyle series, documentaries, and children’s programming.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce that is free of all forms of discrimination. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please reach out. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment and welcome candidates of all ages, backgrounds, skills, and perspectives to apply.