Do you have experience in the film industry? REEL CANADA is looking for film crew guests and moderators to host our online Reel Opportunities workshops. These interactive sessions allow you to share your unique experiences in the Canadian film and TV industry with youth, including how you got here, why you love it, what you actually do, and more. Audiences include youth facing barriers, as well as school groups across the country. REEL CANADA is a charitable not-for-profit whose mission is to introduce youth to Canadian film and engage them in a conversation about identity and culture. The Reel Opportunities programme offers online workshops designed to expose young people to the hundreds of career opportunities in the Canadian film industry.
To get a sense of the programme, you can look at this English-language highlight reel from our last season: reelcanada.ca/reel-opportunities-promo
We are looking for candidates from all areas of production and post-production, with a particular focus on below-the-line positions. All successful applicants must have access to reliable high speed internet and be able to participate in live video-conferencing via Zoom, Google Meet or similar online platforms.
These positions are funded by Economic and Social Development Canada under the Youth Employment and Skills Strategy and therefore haves strict qualifying criteria: All applicants must be 30 years of age or younger (no exceptions will be made).
REEL CANADA is actively seeking candidates with diverse identities and lived experiences. We encourage those who self-identify as Black, Indigenous, people of colour, or people with a disability to apply. We encourage applicants from all regions of Canada to apply, especially if they have connections to their local or provincial film industries within their provinces or territories.
Facilitators are responsible for guiding the conversation between our workshop guests and youth audiences. Ideal candidates are familiar with many aspects of the film industry and can speak knowledgeably about on-set life.
Contracts are $1800 – $3000 for 6-10 Reel Opportunities engagements, and will require you to facilitate a number of live workshops and/or participate in recording video sessions about the film industry, to be featured in our workshop materials. You will also need to be available for occasional tech checks and prep conversations with the REEL CANADA team.
- At least two years of experience working in the Canadian film industry (on-set experience an asset
- Ability to speak knowledgeably about on-set life and the many different roles involved in making a film (in general)
- Comfortable speaking to youth
- Comfortable leading and moderating a Q&A or interview
- Comfortable presenting in an online environment
- Performance / acting or public speaking experience is an asset
- Flexible availability for the workshops, most of which will take place during school hours (approximately 8:00 am to 5:00 pm EST). All sessions will be scheduled and confirmed with you well in advance.
- Fluent French is an asset, but not a requirement (some workshops will be presented in French)
- Reliable high speed internet and ability to participate in live video-conferencing
Please specify which position(s) you are interested in (“both” is fine!), answer the brief questions below, and submit a self-taped video (not a demo reel) as per the instructions below. Production value is not important to us ‒ we just want your personality and passion for the film
industry to shine through, so please feel free to record on your phone, or whatever technology
is available to you. In your 3-4 minute ‘cover letter’ video, please tell us:
- Who you are, and why you want to be part of the Reel Opportunities programme
- How you got into the industry
- Describe a day-in-the-life doing your job
- Why you would encourage a young person to go into the film industry
- If you are applying for a facilitator position, please also include a few sample questions that you would ask a film industry guest that you might be interviewing.
Both a video and a resume are required for your application to be processed. If you have a cover letter, portfolio, IMDb page, website, etc. that will tell us more about you and your experience, please feel free to include that in your application as well
Please submit videos, resumes and any other materials using the application form at reelcanada.ca/join-our-team
REEL CANADA welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate what accommodations
are required, or to arrange a phone call. We thank all who apply, however only candidates selected for the next phase will be contacted.