To foster greater diversity in youth production and creative teams the Youth Media Alliance, along with partners Radio-Canada, Télé-Québec, TFO and APTN, is offering four scholarships per year over 3 years that will place applicants from diverse or Indigenous communities with French-language youth production companies to gain on-set experience.
Total amount: $10,000 per year for a total of twelve internships spread out over 3 years.
Eligibility requirements for the scholarship
- Be a French-speaking* Canadian citizen or permanent resident, be at least 18 years old at the time of application and demonstrate a strong interest in children’s, youth, and family content. (*applicants for whom French is a 2nd language are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be able to communicate clearly and express themselves easily in French.)
- Identify as a member of a visible minority or an Indigenous community
- Be an individual and not a company.
- Submit a cover letter (in French) describing your interest in the children’s television and digital media industry and the relevance of this scholarship to your career development.
- Provide a short bio (in French) and a high-resolution headshot (head and shoulders).
The winners will be placed on a crew of a show currently in production or pre-production (fiction, live-action series, youth news or magazine, intended for ages 2-17). Selected candidates’ interests will be discussed prior to beginning the internship and will be followed to the extent possible based on the available productions within that time-frame. The fund will cover the cost of up to 10 days of work, at a rate of $250 CDN per day, for a total allocation of $2,500 CDN.
The goal of this fund is to help participants break into the industry, gain experience in the production environment, expand their network of contacts and to participate in a concrete way, based on their skills and interests, in the production of a television program to be broadcast on Radio-Canada, Télé-Québec, TFO or APTN.
At the end of the project, the winner may be asked to write a short summary of his/her experience, which will be used as part of a report or an article on the YMA blog.
The application form is available on the YMA website. The deadline to apply is May 31, 2022.
A committee of Youth Media Alliance members will evaluate the applications and select the winners. Selected candidates will be notified in early June 2022.
For more information, please contact Chantal Bowen: firstname.lastname@example.org