JOB POSTING: Film Commissioner
TERMS: Permanent Full-Time
HOURS OF WORK: 35 Hours per Week
START DATE: To be determined
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 14, 2022
Encompassing an unparalleled geographic region in the heart of British Columbia, the Thompson-Nicola Regional District (TNRD) offers the best of both worlds. Urban life within vibrant communities and outlying rural regions that showcase the region’s beauty – pristine but rugged mountains, rolling grasslands, lush evergreen forests and both historic and modern areas, all within 45,000 square kilometres. Headquartered in the City of Kamloops, the TNRD provides a wide range of local government services to the population of 130,000 living within its 11 diverse municipalities and 10 electoral areas.
The TNRD is seeking a Film Commissioner for coordinating, rationalizing and promoting economic development activities, overseeing and coordinating Thompson-Nicola Film Commission activities in their respective regions, as well as provide specialized support to external agencies around grants, funding opportunities and research. Activities include marketing campaign digital strategies development and execution, public relations and media familiarization, collateral production, product development, market research, information sharing and sales and advertising. Work involves marketing the Thompson-Nicola Film Commission regions to stimulate economic development and promote filming activities, with three areas of focus:
- Film Production Promotion and Support – attracting and supporting motion media production crews (including movies, television, and commercials) to shoot on location in the region.
- Grant and Research Coordination – Supports, researches, and monitors funding applications.
- Destination Development – providing advice about best business practice, supporting relevant projects, as well as planning for a sustainable growth across the local economy.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Relations, Marketing or Communications, or other closely related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related experience in film, communications, and/or public relations
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Additional experience in project management, public consultation, and marketing strategies
- Previous grant writing and project reporting experience.
- Film Commissioner designation through appropriate industry workshops would be an asset
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated skills in team leadership and development
- Thorough knowledge funding application processes, reports and grants
- Skills in communication and presentation, especially the ability to prepare written reports and make presentations
- Familiarity with the legislative, legal and financial issues as they relate to the film industry
- Ability to use tact, and diplomacy when dealing with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to use analytical thinking and problem solving skills when planning, organizing and coordinating funding applications
- Working together, we provide exceptional public service in a supportive, flexible environment
- Highly effective project management, prioritization, multi-tasking and time management skills to meet deadlines
- Ability to effectively liaise with governments, industry, community groups and individuals
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office, content management systems and social media platforms
- A valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License
Attend Board meetings and other internal and external committee and public meetings on an as-required basis.
This is a non-union position, with a competitive compensation package being offered.
Thank you for considering the Thompson-Nicola Regional District as a place to share your talents! While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.