Division: Global Okanagan’s News
Work Status: Temporary Full-time (end date April 30, 2023)
Location: Kelowna, BC
About the Role
Reporting to the Global Okanagan News Manager. Global Okanagan’s News Department is currently seeking a full-time Video-Journalist to join their award winning News team. The position will include news gathering, writing for broadcast and online, editing for broadcast and online. The successful candidate will be required to work a variety of shifts including weekends, days and evening and statutory holidays.
Working in a fast-paced breaking news environment, covering local events and stories providing coverage across a variety of platforms (online, broadcast).
- Create compelling news stories
- Create digital and social media content
- Write strong scripts including headlines and promo material for television and digital platforms
- Work with the News team and News Manager on breaking news coverage and execution
- Display creativity in the use of production graphics and newscast treatment to ensure compelling content
- Help build on Global Okanagan’s strong community brand as well as your own personal connection to the community
- Participate in Community events and support community partners with coverage, interviews and occasional emceeing
- participate in Global Okanagan promotional campaigns
- perform other duties as required
What We Need From You:
- A passion for breaking news and broad knowledge of current events at a local, provincial and national level.
- Minimum 3 years experience with news gathering
- Knowledge of video cameras and editing systems usage
- Must be able to adapt in a breaking news situation; focus on prioritization of content delivery in a time-sensitive environment.
- The ability to create a wide range of news and current affairs content for a multi-faceted news operation.
- Ability to handle the demands and pressure of broadcast deadlines.
- Previous experience with online Content Management Systems (CMS) such as WordPress an asset.
- Working knowledge of how news organizations are employing a wide range of digital platforms and formats.
- Journalism degree is an asset; news writing experience is a must.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends on a consistent basis is a must.
If You Have the Following….We Want to Hear From You!
- A team player that can work both independently and within a collaborative environment.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in a high-pressure situation
- Self-motivated individual that can be counted on to make decisions
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people’s lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you’ll feel it. You’ll see it in action.
You’ll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You’ll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You’ll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day – Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique – and amazing – place to work.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you’re interested in this role, click ‘apply now’.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.