Young artists are empowered to create unique short films from start to finish with the support of experienced professionals. In small crews, participants are guided through the complete filmmaking process from scripting to directing, from lighting and editing, to bring their creative visions to life. Completed works debut at a special red carpet film premiere at The Cinematheque.
Watch Cinelab films created in past programs on our Vimeo channel.
We provide an inclusive, welcoming, and creative space with professional equipment, facilitated by experienced artists. Established professionals from the Vancouver creative scene deliver master classes throughout the program.
Summer 2023 program dates
Program 1: July 3–14
Program 2: July 17–28
Note: Registration is capped at 24 students per program (48 total).
Daily schedule: Monday to Friday, 9:00 am–4:00 pm
Location: SFU School for the Contemporary Arts 149 W Hastings Vancouver, BC, V6B 1H4
The Cinematheque is a not-for-profit organization and the program fee is subsidized by support from our sponsors. Our sponsors generously donate limited bursaries for participants who meet their requirements and/or are in need of financial assistance. If you would like to apply for a bursary, please email us at email@example.com.
Accepted applicants will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with instructions for payment or (if applicable) bursary application.
Applications open Spring 2023
Sign up for our mailing list to be first in line to receive the application opening date for Summer 2023.
Master class speakers
2023 master class speakers will be announced soon!
Past master class speakers include:
- Suzanne Friesen (cinematographer, Be Still; tu)
- Kathleen Hepburn (writer/director, Never Steady, Never Still; The Body Remembers When the World Broke Open, with Elle-Máijá Tailfeathers)
- Andrew Huculiak (director/writer/editor, Violent; Ash)
- Jason Karman (writer/director/producer, Lionhood; Golden Delicious)
- Rami Katz (documentary filmmaker, The Issue of Mr. O’Dell)
- Caroline So Jung Lee (filmmaker/interdisciplinary artist, At the Bottom of the Sea; Ghosts of Cambie)
- David Legault (editor/visual effects producer, Elysium; The Twilight Saga: New Moon; Elf)
- Doralynn Mui (actor, Riverdale; Kung Fu)
- Mila Zuo (film scholar/writer/director, Carnal Orient; Kin)