The NBCU LAUNCH TV Directors Program and Female Forward are the company’s pioneering scripted directing programs created to systemically increase the number of experienced directors of underrepresented backgrounds in episodic television. They build on the company’s success as the first episodic directing initiatives in the entertainment industry to guarantee that program directors helm an episode in the same season that they shadow.
The NBCU LAUNCH TV Directors Program (which replaces the long-standing Emerging Director Program) is specifically for ethnically diverse male and non-binary directors while Female Forward focuses on female directors with the goal of achieving gender parity among scripted series directors.
In both programs, directors shadow an experienced episodic director on up to two episodes of an NBCU series, culminating in a guaranteed commitment to direct at least one episode of the series they shadow.
Directors also participate in curated workshops to prepare them for their shadowing, gain the necessary tools for their assignments and build their professional networks to create a successful career in episodic television directing.
The annual programs are designed for experienced directors who want to break into episodic directing and are accomplished in their respective fields including, but not limited to full-length feature films, short films, commercials, music videos, digital content, and unscripted programming.
Program directors are selected by NBCU creative executives, showrunners and producers who make the final decision on directing assignments.
Applicants are encouraged to review the FAQs carefully as they are designed to guide you in creating a strong submission.
Submission Period & Program Timeline
- Applications will be accepted March 14, 2022 through April 3, 2022. Applications will not be accepted after 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on April 3, 2022.
- Targeted Program Launch is September 2022.
- Applicants must be authorized to work legally in the United States. Visa sponsorship is not offered to program participants.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age as of September 1, 2022.
- Must have directing experience in respective fields including but not limited to full-length feature films, short films, music videos, commercials, digital content, and unscripted programming. Applicants who have more than one directing credit on a broadcast, cable, or streaming series are ineligible.