The Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival’s UNSUNG VOICES Video Production Workshop will provide emerging Asian Canadian artists the chance to express themselves through film and media art, learn from professionals in the field, and to produce a distinctly Asian Canadian story for the screen.
A select group of emerging filmmakers will be provided an opportunity to produce and present their film (8 mins maximum), in any genre (eg. fiction, documentary, experimental, etc). The entire collection of films will receive a world premiere at the 26th Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival in November 2022.
2022 Program Description
- This program is tuition free and there are no fees* required to apply
- Participants must be between ages 18–29 and self-identify as Asian
- Honourarium will be provided to participants
- Workshops and learning sessions will be conducted online in the late spring/summer of 2022 (see timeline and more below)
- Participants will learn and experiment with skills to complete a video production:
- Creative (ideation, experimentation, and critical thinking skills about filmmaking & arts practice)
- Technical (writing, visual storytelling, image creation, non-linear digital editing)
- Project Management (planning for and executing production, collaboration)
* While there are no fees to apply and be part of the program, depending on the nature of your project you may have to contribute to costs associated with your production (ex. props, materials, talent, etc.)
“Wide Open” is the theme for this year’s Unsung Voices. “Wide Open” can refer to many things, such as an aperture setting, public health, our views on the future, and more. Use this theme as a jumping off point and see where your imagination takes you.
Expectations and Eligibility
We are looking for self-motivated, resourceful, and open-minded individuals who are willing to go on a (virtual) summer trip with us together. Filmmaking is hard, making art is a privilege, especially now and under these circumstances. Creativity is key as we will be making work to be presented and engaged in a virtual space.
Participants should expect one-to-two online sessions per week (approx 4-8 hrs/week) for the duration of the program as well as additional and necessary time to work on and complete their project.
UV is open to Asian-identifying young people (age 18-29) from anywhere in Canada. Apply and tell us more about you and your ideas! If you need assistance with your application or are experiencing barriers to applying, please contact email@example.com
Selected participants’ film projects will be premiered at the Reel Asian Film Festival in November 2022 as part of a final presentation and discussion. Participants receive full accreditation to the festival and from outside the Greater Toronto Area will be invited to attend
Attendance at online program sessions and final presentation are mandatory.
Program Timeline (external)
- Call for applications – March 28
- Info Session – Early April
- Deadline – April 22
- Interviews – April 28 & 29
- Program start May 19
- May19-June 30* Ideation, Scriptwriting, Pre-Production (2 sessions per week)
- July 1-31* Production (1 session per week)
- August 1-31* Post-Production (1 session per week)
- September 1-5* Delivery of final files for post-finishing
- November 9-20: Attend World Premiere screening at Reel Asian Film Festival
*Specific session dates TBA. Timeline subject to change. Additional consults scheduled as necessary.