Creates the look of the film with furniture, hanging and props that have been sourced or made.
The Set Decorating department is responsible for the background look of the action, dressing sets and locations for shooting, using furniture, drapery, artwork and decorative items.
Entry Level & In-demand
What kind of jobs are available?
What people who work in this department usually bring to the work.
- Interior design knowledge.
- Film production and art history, budgeting.
- Working knowledge of time periods, trade (carpentry) or craft (sewing) knowledge.
- Understanding of the production process.
- Working experience in film or television in a related department.
Draper / Fabricator
Set Decorating Coordinator
Set Decorating Foreperson
Set Dec Buyer
Lead Dresser (Set Decorating)
Assistant Set Dresser
Assistant Set Decorator
Many job roles in the motion picture industry are represented by a union or guild.
If you see a logo below, the role may be covered by a union or guild. Please consult those organizations to understand the requirements (such as certification, licensing or work experience) to join as a member.